It's been awhile since I participated in an Altenew Monthly Inspiration Challenge so I was excited to jump back into it, AND this month's colors are basically my favourite color combination ever so how could I not participate in it.  I used this project as an opportunity to practice "loose" water coloring" which, believe it or not as an artist on paper I am good at water coloring, but when it comes to water coloring for cards it's a bit intimidating. This card started out as a watercolor panel with the Altenew Paint-A-Flower Anemone stamp. It's a pretty big stamp, with all the flowers and leaves all closely connected with each other, which is why I found it a good opportunity to practice loose water coloring.  That way if I got out of my lines, it would look like I meant to lol.  I embossed the stamp onto watercolor cardstock using white embossing powder.  I chose a dark and light version of each of the inspiration colors out of Altenew Crisp Dye Inks, so for the leaves and the background of this image I alternated between different depths of Limeade and Lime. I did use my heat gun tool to dry this portion of the project.  I then chose Lavender Fields and Soft Lilac to paint in different depths of color on the flowers.  Again I used my heat tool to dry these. I also heated it from the back. 


 Even though I prepped and stretched my watercolor cardstock before I started this project, it was still trying to roll up so I spritzed the backside with water and set a brick on top of it, painted side down.  While that was drying flat I moved on to my pink frosted pumpkin.  Since I don't have any pumpkin stamps or dies from Altenew, I had to really get creative.  First I blended Pinkalicious and Rubellite inks together on a scrap of white cardstock.  I used the Altenew Circle Sentiments stamp in "Wild and Free" and stamped it in Rubellite onto the pink blended cardstock.  I love tone on tone, especially in pinks!  Using the coordinating Circled Sentiments die set I cut out the sentiment and two half circles.  Using foam tape to layer the circle over the half circles, I created a pumpkin shape.  I used liquid glue and clear crystal glitter to "frost" the sides of the pumpkin.  To give it some character I blended out some pink and green ink on a scrap of white cardstock and  used the die set from Altenew set Watercolor Blooms to cut out leaves for the pumpkin.  I set the leaves onto a foam mousepad and used a stylus to press into them, creating texture and the appearance of wrinkling leaves.  I colored and cut out a little stem and, for a vine, I took a piece of lavender bakers twine, coated it in a mixture of glue and water and let it dry.  This gave it some substance and the ability for me to shape it how I wanted it.



 I got the painted panel out from under the brick and it had dried perfectly flat. I trimmed it down to a little smaller than the size of the front of an A2 size card so it would have a little of a frame around it from the card face. I attached it with strong double sided tape. I used foam tape to set the pumpkin sentiment in the lower right corner of the card.  For additional "frost" on the card I used clear sequins and Altenew Satin White sequins. 
 
I am really happy how this card came out and I had a lot of sun making it!  Check out the rest of the projects on the Altenew blog:   September 2021 Inspiration Challenge - Altenew Blog

 I hope you like this project too, and if you try any of these techniques please let me know here on the blog and share a pic!  See you soon!  

Comments

Popular Posts